Hit-and-run accidents are more stressful than your typical auto accident due to a lack of information and cooperation from the other involved party. Although people know that fleeing the scene after knowingly causing an accident is morally incorrect, many people don’t know that it is actually against the law. If you are involved in an accident and flee the scene, there are various penalties and fines that you could face.
What Steps Should I Take if I Have Been Involved in a Hit-and-Run Accident?
Taking the proper steps after these accidents can be stressful without the correct information.
Hit-and-Run: Dos and Don’ts
- Call 9-1-1 immediately
- Ask witnesses if they have any additional information. If they can, make sure you get details such as their names or contact information.
- Gather as much information about the driver as possible. This could include information such as:
- Color, make, and model of the vehicle
- License plate number
- Description of the damage to the other vehicle
- Photos of the damage to your car
- The direction the other vehicle drove off to after they hit your car
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- What caused the accident
- Follow the fleeing driver. This is the best way to protect your case and your safety. Leaving the scene may put you at risk of getting supporting evidence like eyewitness statements and police reports.
- Hesitate to contact an attorney. As soon as you are safe and have sought medical attention, contact a skilled attorney right away to learn about any legal options you may have.
- Wait to file an insurance claim. As soon as you speak to an attorney, you should begin to file your claim. An official accident report will help police look out for the fleeing driver.
Georgia Personal Injury Attorneys
Dealing with the aftermath of a hit-and-run can often be challenging, but we are here to help. With the help of our attorneys, you can rest assured your case will be handled while you get the time you need to recover. Here at Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC, our car accident attorneys have the years of experience and skill required to bring you the justice you deserve.
Contact us today at (404) 892-8884 or visit us online to schedule a free case review with a trusted team member.