Slip & Fall Accident Lawyer in Norcross, Gwinnett County
Slip and fall accidents are quite common. They can happen anywhere, from a grocery store to a workplace, and they can result in serious injuries, such as head injuries, broken bones, and even spinal cord injuries. If you have sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, a slip and fall attorney in Norcross will help you get compensated. You may be eligible for compensation, especially if the slip and fall accident was caused by another person’s or store owner’s carelessness.
At Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC, we understand how difficult it can be to deal with the aftermath of a slip-and-fall accident. That’s why we are here to help you through the process of seeking compensation for your injuries. Our experienced team of Norcross slip and fall attorneys can assist you in determining whether you have a case and guide you through the legal process.
These are common hazards that most property owners should be aware of. Failure to prevent these personal injury risks could be negligence if a “reasonable and prudent” party would have been able to do so. You might need a premises liability attorney to help you learn whether someone was negligent in failing to prevent your slip and fall. If so, you could be eligible for compensation. Contact our Georgia slip and fall accident lawyers today.
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
Slip-and-falls are some of the most common premises liability accidents. According to the National Floor Safety Institute, more than one million emergency room visits per year stem from slip-and-fall accidents. Bone fractures are the most serious common injury related to these accidents. Fractures of the hip in the elderly could lead to fatal complications. These accidents are the number one cause of workers’ compensation claims. About 50% of all home deaths result from falls – most of which occur on ground level.
Injuries Associated with Slip and Falls
Broken bones (especially in the wrists and hips), sprains, and strains are some of the most common slip-and-fall accident injuries. Injuries to the skull and brain are also common and can occur if the victim hits his/her head in the fall. Slip-and-fall accidents from heights also run the risk of serious spinal cord injuries and broken bones elsewhere in the body. Elderly people are most at risk of fatal injuries and health complications from slip-and-fall accidents.
What Laws Protect From Slip and Falls?
Georgia premises liability laws state that is a property owner’s legal duty to be aware of common fall hazards and to take steps to ensure they don’t exist on a property. If the owner welcomes invitees to his or her premises (invited guests such as customers at a business), that owner owes them the highest standards of care.
This means the owner must check the property for unknown hazards, repair known ones, and warn visitors of hazards present on the premises. Failure to adhere to these duties, resulting in a preventable slip-and-fall accident, is negligence. Other types of visitors – licensees and child trespassers – also come with certain (lesser) duties of care depending on the situation.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
Given the frequency of slip and fall accidents, several factors trigger these incidents. The common causes of slip and fall accidents include;
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Uneven flooring or walkways
- Poor lighting
- Loose or torn carpeting
- Cluttered walkways
- Broken stairs or handrails
- Unmarked obstacles
- Poor maintenance in general
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident caused by any of these factors, it’s important to contact a slip and fall lawyer in Norcross as soon as possible. Hiring an attorney is vital for your success. Legal representation is crucial in your quest to get compensation for your injuries and damages suffered. At Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC, we will start working on your case as soon as possible. We ensure claims are filed on time to beat deadlines and avoid setbacks.
Under Georgia law in order to recover in a slip and fall incident you must prove that the owner or occupier of the land or business had actual or constructive knowledge of the defect, all prior to the incident. In other words, if you slip on a defective surface, you must show that the owner or manager knew or should have known about the defect and then failed to timely repair it.
Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries. It is vital to seek medical attention immediately if you sustain injuries in a slip or trip and fall accident. The common ones include:
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Knee and ankle injuries
No matter the type of injury you sustain in a slip and fall accident, you should have a doctor examine you. This will help identify any underlying injuries not visible to the naked eye. A medical evaluation will also determine the extent of injuries suffered, which is key in calculating the value of your claim.
Steps to Take After Getting Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, there are several steps you should take to protect your legal rights and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve:
- Seek medical attention: Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you do not think your injuries are serious. Since some injuries may not be visible to the human eye, delaying medical treatment can make them worse. Call 911 if possible and ask for help when still on the accident site.
- Report the accident: You should immediately report the incident to t. the property manager or owner. You can make a formal or informal report depending on your preferences. However, make sure to get their name, contact information, and any incident reports they may have filed. This is crucial for the subsequent legal steps.
- Gather evidence: If possible, gather evidence that can help your case. Most personal injury cases need sufficient evidence to be approved in Georgia courts. Therefore, take photos of the accident scene, including any defects or hazards that may have contributed to your fall. Try and determine what caused you to slip and fall. If it was liquid on the floor see if you can determine the source. If it’s a spill, try to determine how long it was on floor. Also, gather contact information from any witnesses who saw the accident occur. If a witness is willing to testify in court, you should take their contact information.
- Hire an attorney: Lastly, you should hire a Norcross slip and fall lawyer. Get in touch with a Norcross slip and fall attorney as soon as possible to discuss your legal options. At Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC, we have a dedicated and experienced team of attorneys ready to work on your case. We can help you determine whether you have a case and guide you through the legal process. We can also help you gather the necessary evidence that proves liability in court.
Your slip-and-fall accident case deserves attention from experienced Georgia slip and fall accident lawyers. Dermer Appel Ruder has the resources and hands-on experience with the insurance industry to optimize your odds of a successful claim. We can assist you in accident investigation and naming the defendant, as well as negotiating for a fair settlement from the property owner’ or occupier’s insurance company.
Serving Atlanta and all surrounding areas including but not limited to Alpharetta, Duluth, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, Peachtree Corners & Roswell. Your future starts with a free case evaluation – schedule yours today.
Our Attorney Also Represent the Following Practice Areas:-
- Bicycle Accident
- Boat Accident
- Burn Injury
- Car Accident
- Construction Accident
- Dog Bite
- Foodborne Illness
- Food Poisoning
- Bone Fracture
- Motorcycle Accident
- Neck Injury
- Negligent Security
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Pharmaceutical Injury
- Catastrophic Injury
- Truck Accident
- Wrongful Death
Contact Our Slip and Fall Attorneys in Norcross
At Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC, our experienced slip-and-fall attorneys are here to help you fight for your compensation. The aftermath of a slip and fall accident can be overwhelming, but we are here to guide you through the legal process. Call 404-892-8884 today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.