Before filing your claim, it’s essential that you complete the necessary steps to ensure you have a smoother filing process and that you have all the documentation needed to support your case when working with a skilled attorney. Below is a list of what you should do initially:
- Contact police authorities, especially if it was a hit and run
- Make sure your car is in a safe place. Move it if you need to, to ensure safety and that you aren’t blocking other traffic.
- Get the other drivers’ information. This includes name, phone number, address, license plate number, driver’s license number, and insurance policy information (write it down the exact way it is given on their proof of insurance card)
- Get names, statements, and information of any witnesses
- Don’t agree to forgive the other driver for the damages they have caused.
- Seek medical attention and keep any bills or documents safely stored
- Contact your attorney for further information and legal options you have
Filing Your Claim
It’s always recommended to speak with an attorney before filing a claim, no matter how big the accident was. They will ensure that you are fully prepped and understand what is to be expected during the filing process. If you have any questions or concerns, always be clear and express them with your attorney so that you fully comprehend every aspect of your case. This will make sure that you aren’t being lowballed for a settlement and get the financial compensation you deserve. Hiring someone to help you with your claim will typically help you avoid getting denied. However, if an insurance company denies your claim in bad faith, you should also consider working with an attorney.
We Can Help
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence, you may be owed financial compensation. Our team at Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC is filled with award-winning attorneys who have the experience to fight cases just like yours. You don’t have to be alone.
Contact us today at (404) 892-8884 or visit us online to schedule your free consultation.